Friday, 20 November 2015


So the junior doctor's strike is almost certainly going ahead. Which puts DZ, as someone who does a little agency work from time to time, in something of a dilemma. He is very much supportive of the juniors and their action. They should strike, absolutely, and if DZ were in a substantive consultant post he would be keen to facilitate their action.

There is a strong likelihood that DZ will be asked to work one the days that action is taken. So does he refuse such offers as a gesture of support, or does he accept the work, at high agency rates to cause Hunt one more small financial pinprick.

Any views?


  1. For what it is worth, and it does not affect me in any way as I live in Scotland, you should go in. The money is a bonus but, and this is I think think the important bit, as a senior clinician you will be able to cover while the juniors are out. This will allow them to show that patients were not put at risk.
    The junior docs have my full support. Have had some 'interesting' conversations in the pub trying to educate people that junior doctors are not just 23-25 year olds.

  2. It's a personal decision but I won't. Those who do will be used by Hunt to divide and conquer. He'll sneer at the strikers and tell the country about the likes of (possibly) you who undermined the juniors' efforts for a decent work life balance. Let us know what you decide.

  3. I wouldn't, personally, as it will undermine the juniors - the deficit is so big that it wouldn't make a difference. But then I quit hospital medicine in 1980.

    DOI: Was involved in 1975-6 action against Barbara Castle. We triumphed then.

  4. If I were you I would cover, but if the strikes do not produce the successful result , then when more are planned, support the juniors by not covering.