Sunday 6 March 2011

A blessed generation

Another headline today brings home to me how extraordinarily lucky NHS Consultants of my generation have been, from start to finish.

Firstly our medical school education was for the most part free, and financially supported. Then we found ourselves in highly respected occupations with security and good pay. The final icing on the cake was our generous pension scheme.

Most of us appreciate how well treated we have been, despite the onerous hours we used to put in. I think this awareness of our privilege is in no small way why most doctors have such a strong sense of dedication and loyalty to the NHS, and have been prepared to put so much in over and above our contractual duty. And why they are so prepared to fight to keep the NHS.

Contrast that with now. Medical students today have a huge financial burden to face. On qualifying they then have to service enormous loans with a steadily eroding income. Their training has been fucked up completely, their careers uncertain. And now even the pension goal posts are being moved.

If doctors of the future lack the devotion for the NHS we have, they can hardly be blamed.

1 comment:

  1. the a&e charge nurse6 March 2011 at 10:14

    I feel very much the same.

    I received a training salary as a student RMN- then a bursary doing the adult branch of P2K.

    I have been sent on numerous courses - all paid for by the NHS.

    Band 7 pay is not too bad - I should receive a decent pension.

    I am very grateful to have been given these opportunities.

    ReplyDelete