Tuesday 8 December 2020

Coronavirus

 I suppose sooner or later I would have to comment on the pandemic. It seems only yesterday that our lives became dominated totally by this awful disease, and yet it seems an age since we enjoyed the simple basic pleasures of life, involving free interaction with other human beings. To a species as gregarious as humans this is surely distressing, though not as much as losing a loved one.

DZ has come back to work, very much full time and has not had a week off since April. Until now. One of his offspring who works in areas with considerable contact with others, has brought the disease home. So DZ is in isolation and forced time off. I've noticed two things. Firstly, how much I have enjoyed being back at work. The social contact, the sense of professional satisfaction, and purpose have resulted in my realising how much I now miss being back in the saddle, albeit temporarily. Secondly. DZ is no spring chicken, and has one or two health conditions which, while being by no means disabling or serious, nonetheless put him in a much more serious position in the event of him coming down with the virus. And yet, in spite of having been in direct contact with someone infected I don't feel particularly anxious or afraid. I seem to still have that attitude, common in the young, that I am immortal. I seem to have got away with it this time, it's been nearly two weeks since contact.


And now finally there is light at the end of the tunnel. The work of the scientists who have developed vaccines in such an extraordinarily short time is astounding. Within just a few weeks DZ is hoping to have been vaccinated, and then breath a sigh of relief. Maybe even in time for Christmas. 

My isolation has drawn ne back to the blog after quite a while away, and I think I will be back to being very busy in the new year for some time to come. For now I'm taking advantage of the down time, and I'll raise a glass to this man, for the millions of lives he has saved during his lifetime, since his death and even still now and into the future.


Edward Jenner 1749 - 1823





No comments:

Post a Comment