Sunday 14 October 2012

Life of leisure

Those of you with sharp eyes may have noticed a single word change on my home page that indicates a major change in my life. Yep, I hit 60 and retired at some time in the last 12 months. I had thought I would continue blogging, particularly on NHS subjects, but very rapidly found that I no longer give a shit what happens in the NHS, and I don't suppose I will regain any interest until the time comes when I start to need it. heres hoping that that won't be for some time.
My blogging input has already declined in the last few months, and I think this lower frequency of posts is going to be the norm. But I'm not shutting up shop. Anybody out there who has an NHS story they would like aired can send it to be and I will consider posting it.
I expect as I settle into retirement and develop new interests I will start blogging in a different direction.
Thanks for all your comments over the last couple of years.

6 comments:

  1. the a&e charge nurse14 October 2012 at 16:31

    'Was' a consultant - surely at 60 you're still at the top of your game?

    My grandad worked well into his 70's (because he loved what he did, not because he was made to).

    I'm a bit Bill Shankly on this (from 3:50)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I&feature=related

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not many of us left exposing *********.
    I hope it was not you/know/who that got to you. In fact there is now more freedom to say things as one stopped working. There is much to enjoy, of course but your wit is much admired!

    Stay around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really? And here was me thinking you were about my age (early fortysomething). Wondered why the blogs were drying up.
    Looked at my retirement fund the other day... but am pleased to say that noth folks are still in good health so will (hopefully) be a while yet before I can retire. (Not being able to afford 25% of my income to be paid into a pension).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, and I hope you enjoy your retirement. I have found since leaving the NHS three years ago (not retired, just found a way to escape), that it has receded quite rapidly to a rather small corner of my mind which, and that's the way I'm happy for it to stay. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy retirement Dr Z.

    Please continue blogging from time to time about the NHS. The other side of your coin is that you are free to say what you like now about UK healthcare. Perhaps retirement is the time to up the ante rather than to wither on the vine. You will have many experiences from the past still to be told and as you are already reflecting upon, sooner or later you will become a patient.

    I fear there is no escape.

    ReplyDelete